Sunday, January 29, 2012

recipes from last week

Well, I am excited to say I actually made everything I planned to make last week; except the cookies which I'm making tonight. That doesn't usually happen. I plan, shop, and then I only end up making a few of the dishes. But this week I made them all. I guess that says I'm better at planning. All the recipes I made last week were recipes I have made before so my reviews are all positive.
The ham n' cheese soup is always a hit and always very filling. To the Spicy Beef I add a drained can of green beans in with the meat at the end to incorporate the flavors and heat up the beans. The cassoulet was an adventure this week. I was so sure I had all of the ingredients, I didn't check ahead of time. I usually use a Jimmy Dean ground sausage roll for the sausage but I was out so I used kelbasa. The flavor was fine, the mistake was smelling it throughout the house all day with my delicate pregnancy nose. But ok. I also usually substitute white wine for apple juice but, lo and behold, I was out. Luckily, chicken broth is an acceptable substitute. I also didn't have the cannelloni beans so used chickpeas instead. Really, I substituted almost all of the ingredients.
The Cambodian chicken stew is always delicious. The na'an bread was the adventure this time. I have a black thumb when it comes to making bread. It doesn't rise. This time I'm pretty sure I had bad yeast. It didn't proof, and then didn't rise. But I used the dough anyway since na'an is a flatbread. It was dense but still tasted good.

No comments:

Post a Comment