Monday, February 6, 2012

Books I read in January

January was a month filled with gospel learning. I got tons of books from my mom for Christmas and I've been plowing through them.

Of These Emblems: Coming Closer to Christ Through the Sacrament by various authors.
ISBN: 9781598117066


This was an excellent book. It is a compilation of a few authors about getting more out of partaking of the sacrament. Not all the 'talks' spoke to me but there were a few that really brought home some interesting facts and new spiritual insights.


Change Your Questions, Change Your Life by Wendy Watson Nelson
ISBN: 9781590385982


I thought this book sounded really good, but when I first started reading it I was a little disappointed. The format is like a kid's textbook; with textboxes and pictures and odd formatting. The first, almost half, of the book is good but seems more geared toward someone in the position of counselor. I could see how the questions could apply to me but they really weren't anything new. Then she addresses what she thinks are the 7 most important questions and they were awesome. I loved the last half of the book. It had insight and practical challenges.


Believing Christ by Stephen E. Robinson
ISBN: 9780875796345


This was a great book. Much more doctrinal than the other two. He makes the distinction between believing in Christ, as in believing he was the son of God etc., to believing Christ. Believing Christ can and will do the things he said. I found it very interesting and thought provoking. 




No comments:

Post a Comment